Poppin' Candy

This blog post is a little story about an email I had the other day, and to understand why I was so excited to read this email, you need to understand two things.

The first is that I am a mahoossive nerd at heart. Sure, I act cool with my indie music taste and the rad festivals I go to and the edginess of (some of) the clothes that I wear, but deep down I just want to stick a disc into my Playstation 3 and get lost in a gloriously nerdy haze of skill points and power ups for hours on end. I watch nerdy TV shows and I drag Chloe to see nerdy films at the cinema (which she protests endlessly about but occasionally actually enjoys). I love superhero films, and have a particular obsession with anything that comes out of Marvel Studios; from the dizzy heights of the Avengers to the much lower stakes of Ant-Man via the critically acclaimed Iron Man and the universally panned Incredible Hulk, I will watch them all with an ear splitting grin etched onto my face for the full 2 and a bit hour run times.

The second thing that you need to understand is that last year I worked as a Christmas temp at HMV in Brighton, which involved the usual sorts of things you would expect from a retail job like shelf stacking and a handy discount card, but importantly to this story it included a helluvalot of time spent on the checkouts. Now, as in any HMV shop worth its salt, the queuing area in the Brighton store was lined with lots of products that didn’t really fit the mould of CDs/DVDs/Games, but instead would probably be categorised as merchandise for the CDs/DVDs/Games that we sold. This covered everything from the One Direction Colouring Book to the Frozen Castle to the foamy Minecraft Swords to the Breaking Bad Mugs; the idea being that customers would spend plenty of time looking at these items whilst queuing and be spurred into making impulse purchases that they wouldn’t have otherwise made. Well let me tell you, it definitely worked on me! Directly opposite my checkout at HMV was the “HMV loves Marvel” display. Now, remember what I said about how nerdy I am? I was spending eight hours a day, six days a week staring at some pretty cool looking merchandise for all of my favourite films, which included plenty of things that looked like this:
Mmmmmmm, so much Marvel

Pretty cool, right? So, there I am at HMV, deciding which Superhero to buy, but by the time I got paid they’d been taken off the shelves and me being me, I had absolutely no idea how I could find them again as I couldn’t see what they were called from where I was. Anyway, some time went by and I stumbled across someone’s blog post about the Pop In A Box subscription service, and hey whaddayaknow, that’s those cool Marvel figures that I was talking about!

So what is Pop In A Box? Well, it’s a pretty cool online subscription service specifically for expanding your collection of Pop! Vinyls, which are a series of kinda bobblehead-y figures of characters from all over popular culture. Normally, Pop! Vinyls are quite expensive and, depending on the figure, can be priced anywhere from £7 to £30+. Pop In A Box offer a variety of plans where they send you a number of Pops per month for a maximum of £8.49 per pop per month (plus P&P), and you can choose the subscription size to suit your budget. What I really like about Pop In A Box though is the collection tracker tool, which allows you to add the Pops you own, and (more importantly) select the ones you want or don’t want. Pop In A Box will then send you figures from your “Want” list (without sending you one that you already have) and will ignore the ones that you don’t want; plus if for some reason they don’t have any that you want in stock, they won’t charge you for that month.


A couple of pretty cool TV shows represented by pretty cool Pop! Vinyl figures (Images from thinkGeek)

I love Pop In A Box, and am getting very excited to start my subscription! Funko, who are the company that actually makes the figures, are constantly pumping out new lines like the Toy Story line and the Harry Potter line, which are duly added to the Pop In A Box inventory for you to yay or nay. If you think that this subscription service sounds as awesome as I think it is, then click here to sign up now!

And yes, I genuinely did sell someone a One Direction Colouring Book

P.S. Because I completely forgot about how I started this post, the email I received was basically giving me a link for 5% off your first Pop In A Box, which is the link I embedded two sentences ago. This disjointed ending to the post is what I deserve for trying to write this whilst making fish fingers but hey ho, I'm a hungry boy so what can ya do


No comments

Post a Comment

© Philoslothical

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig