Forza Italia

I love indecisiveness. I’m currently in Leeds visiting my girlfriend Chloe (mojichlo.uk) and just the other day we were completely stumped for what to have for dinner. So, whilst arguing over whether to have Jamie Oliver’s Beef Kofta with fluffy rice or “pasta, chopped tomatoes and broccoli” (guess who was rooting for what), we floated the idea of trekking down to Jamie’s Italian. Thankfully, after another 40 minutes of debate, we settled on heading out.

If you’ve been to one of Jamie Oliver’s Italian restaurants before, you’ll probably know where this post is heading. If you haven’t, then what the hell’s wrong with you? These restaurants seem to be springing up everywhere – I remember going to the Bath one way back in 2009 when they were almost semi-exclusive and there were queues around the block to get a table. First launched in Oxford in 2008, the chain now boasts 35 restaurants (including branches abroad) and has plans for several more openings in the coming years, which means the lines are somewhat shorter these days.

Now, I’m a huge fan of Italian culture. One of my dreams for when I’m old and rich (or young and rich) is to retire to a country house on the shores of Lake Como. A major part of my affinity towards Italy is my love affair with their food, so therefore any Italian-themed restaurant is going to get a big thumbs up from me. But Jamie’s Italian absolutely takes the gold medal. It wins on everything from the quality of appetisers down to the rustic decoration and cool old architecture of their buildings.
How sick is this building? (Image Credit: nitefinder.co.uk)
So, Chloe and I headed to Jamie’s Italian Leeds, which is a branch that neither of us had ever been to before. It’s set up in a building that looks like an old-timey bank, and takes up at least two large floors (possibly three but we didn’t go upstairs so I’m not sure). We’re both Gold Card members, so received free tasters of a scrummy risotto that I enjoyed despite the fact that it had ingredients that I don’t like (I think courgette was in there? Couldn’t taste it though so that’s a plus!). I would definitely recommend becoming a Gold Card member, even if you don’t go on a regular basis, as it’s free to sign up and means that every time you go you get free taster plates, gifts once a month (this month is a side of Polenta Chips) and even more free things within two weeks either side of your birthday; we went for both our birthdays and got a free bottle of Prosecco both times and a dessert – what more could you want!

Another thing I like about Jamie’s Italian is that the staff are always so friendly and helpful. Of course, you get staff like that in loads of places, but I find the customer service is always of a consistently high standard across countless visits, and at every branch I’ve been to. The very chatty waiter that served us sold Chloe the springtime tagliatelle with his animated and passionate description of the dish and of course, she loved it.
Tell me you don't love this cheeky chappy (Image Credit: John Lyle)
We started our meal off with the olives on ice (perhaps the best reason to go to Jamie’s in my opinion) and their meat antipasti board (perhaps the second best). The olives are a beautiful green variety that are described as the “world’s best”, and are served on ice to keep them fresh and juicy. In the middle of the dish is a little pot of delicious black olive tapenade served with “music bread” – think crackers – which does well to rival the actual olives for your attention. The antipasti board comes with a selection of Italian cured meats, cheeses and pickles/chillis, plus a little pot of a salad that I would never touch because ew, gross, vegetables. I followed this up with the Fresh Crab Spaghettini, which in hindsight I didn’t like as much as other items on the menu, but I still very much enjoyed. I’m a huge seafood lover so always tend to direct my attention to the bottom three on the pasta section, or as I like to call it, the “fun area”, and as I had had the Squid & Mussel Spaghetti Nero on our previous visit I opted to try something else. The Crab Spaghettini is basically lots of lovely little bits of crabmeat, cooked in a sauce that was made from lemon, anchovies and capers with chilli, fennel and parsley as a topping for a ball of very thin spaghetti. Personally, I don’t think there was enough crab in there, but that’s just because I’m greedy I guess. We ate our pasta with a lovely rocket and radiccio salad (dressed with the nicest balsamic vinegar I have ever tasted) and the Polenta Chips that we received free of charge – cubes of potato that baffled us when we wondered how they were made, but were delicious nevertheless. We didn’t have dessert this time, but I would highly recommend the brownie they serve.
Dat food doe
My one issue with Jamie’s Italian is that it’s not compatible with a student budget. While of course not every restaurant should or could be cheap as chips, and for the quality of the meals and ingredients you get the money is pretty damn reasonable, spending around £50 for a starter and a main for two without alcohol is not really something I can afford as much as I would like to. Chloe and I decided to take a little bit of money from our business profits (lamedesign.bigcartel.com – go buy something so I can go again!) which is why we were able to afford to go without a reason or special occasion, but I just wish it fit better in my budget so that I could go more often. Saying that, I’m sure that Mr Oliver makes very little profit on the dishes he serves at the price he sells them, so who am I to complain? 

And hey, it definitely beats “chopped tomatoes and broccoli”.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Philoslothical

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig